Welcome to The Bougainvilla House Family Therapy Center behavioral health resources & blog section.
Here you will find links to help you better understand our approach to treatment, as well as helpful behavioral health resources you can use at home.
If you’re concerned that your child is participating in underage drinking near Fort Lauderdale, you should take the time to learn how to recognize the signs of alcoholism and addiction in teens. A teen alcohol counseling center can provide your child with intervention services, teen therapy, and family counseling that will help you navigate the … Read more
It can be difficult to determine whether or not your teen has a problem with alcohol addiction in Fort Lauderdale. You may have been subject to some of the many common myths that surround underage drinking and teen substance abuse. It is important to dispel the myths regarding teen alcoholism so that parents are able … Read more
If your teen has a history of alcohol abuse in Fort Lauderdale, you need to seek intervention from a teen recovery center as soon as possible. The sooner your teen learns how to stop drinking, the better his chances are of managing his addiction and avoiding serious health complications. Here are some tips for intervening … Read more
ADOLESCENT BEHAVIORAL HEALTH
MANY BEHAVIORAL HEALTH DISORDERS FIRST PRESENT DURING ADOLESCENCE:
- 20-30 percent of adolescents have one major depressive episode before they reach adulthood.
- 50-75 percent of adolescents with anxiety disorders and impulse control disorders, such as conduct disorder or attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder, develop symptoms during adolescence.
- Existing behavioral health problems become increasingly complex and intense as children transition into adolescence.
SUICIDE IS THE THIRD LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH IN ADOLESCENTS AND YOUNG ADULTS:
- Suicide affects young people from all ages, races, genders and socioeconomic groups, although some groups seem to have higher rates than others.
- Older adolescents, aged 15-19, are at an increased risk for suicide.
- Between 500,000 and 1,000,000 young people aged 15 to 24 attempt suicide each year.
- Source: nccp.org
ADOLESCENT SUBSTANCE USE IN FLORIDA
- The average age of first drug use is 13, with children as young as 10 classifying drug use as a major problem facing their peers.
- In Broward County, 37 percent of high school students have ridden in a car with a driver under the influence of alcohol or marijuana.
- Among Florida high school students, 13 percent reported smoking marijuana and 7.3 percent reported drinking alcohol before or during school.
- Alcohol is the leading cause of death for people aged 15 to 24.
- 19.7 percent of high school students in Broward County reported drinking 5 or more drinks.
- 29 percent of high school students in Florida have used marijuana one or more times in their life.
- In 2014, nearly one in five high school students in Florida reported having blacked out after drinking.
- Marijuana was the primary drug of 93 percent of adolescents younger than 18 in 2015.
GET STARTED NOW
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
National Institute of Mental Health
National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
Office of Safe and Drug-Free Schools
Partnership for Drug-Free Kids